I was nominated for a Liebster Award* by the lovely Gabrielle Mbeki. Here are the eleven questions that were sent my way:
1. What is one thing someone would be surprised to know about you?
I played the piano for the better part of a decade as a child..and have sung in Gospel choirs for about fifteen years. I also type on keyboards as if I'm playing the piano - my fingers fly all over - it feels most natural that way.
2. Why did you get into blogging?
I wanted to have complete control over a narrative and use my love of language to connect with other people. I love having time to mull things over and am exacting when it comes to language, so I love having a space where I can take time to craft my point of view and share it with all the folks that are interested.
I also love going around New England attending lectures and interviewing my favorite authors and lecturers. I've gotten quite the informal education and wouldn't trade it for the world.
3. If you could own anything in your closet, what would it be?
Audrey Hepburn's ENTIRE Breakfast at Tiffany's ensemble.
4. Song currently playing on your radio / iPod?
Sia's Elastic Heart
5. What is the best or worst date you have been on in your life?
Long story short: *shudders*. I'm still waiting for some magic. Boston's a tough town, but I'm learning (and flirting) my way through. ;)
6. Tumblr or Pinterest?
Pinterest all the way, baby!
7. What is your favorite blog post that you have written in the last year?
8. Which celebrity do you religiously follow on Instagram or Twitter?
9. What fad have you tried and did not like?
I was born in the mid-1980s. I...once...thought it was cute to rock suckers (lollipops) in my hair and wear my jeans inside out. You couldn't pay me to do it now, but you couldn't tell me I wasn't all the cute on the southside of Chicago then! The late 90s and early aughts were an "extra" sartorial time. May we never revisit some of those styles. :(
10. What is your favorite article of clothing at the moment?
This gorgeous grey scarf from Zara.
11. What is your favorite article of clothing as a child and why?
I had a pair of pink footie pajamas that must've been made on Mount Olympus. Outside clothes? I had a sharp pair of royal blue suspenders that made life worth living. I loved the footie pajamas because comfort is key. I adored the suspenders because gender is a construct...and I was the most dapper infant in western history.
Here are my eleven questions for some of my nominees (inspired by my If... page):
1. If you could’ve lived through any war in history (without actually fighting in it), which would it be?
2. If you could inherit a comfortable home in any city in the world that you could use but not sell, where would you want it to be?
3. If you could’ve stopped aging at any point in your life up to the present, how old would you like to remain?
4. If you could suddenly possess an extraordinary talent in one of the arts, what would you like it to be?
5. If you could have one current writer write your biography, who would you pick?
6. If you could have one person from any time in history call you for advice, and they were to listen to what you told them, who’d you want to hear from?
7. If you could ask God any single question, what would it be?
8. If you could be guaranteed one thing in life besides more money, what would you ask for?
9. If you were to have your friends, in private, attribute a single quality to you, what would you want it to be?
10. If you had to choose the color that describes you most accurately, which color would it be?
11. If you could have any one specific power over other people, what would it be?
*The Liebster Award is a bloggers award that is designed to help small blogs grow. Here are the rules:
- Thank and link back to the person who nominates you.
- Answer the questions given by the person who nominates you.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers with less than 200 followers.
- Create 11 new questions for the nominees to answer.
- Let the nominees know they've been nominated!